What is Boho Style?
Bohemian style, aka boho or boho chic, is an eclectic, energetic design style. This popular look is known for its mixing of vivid colors, global patterns, elaborate textiles, found objects, and, let’s not forget, plants. It evokes a free-spirited, nomadic lifestyle, with carefully chosen artifacts and mementos that resonate with soul-enriching stories.
Key ingredients for boho decor include:
- Warm earthy tones accentuated with bright accents like reds, pinks, oranges, purples, and blues complete the color palette.
- No matchy-matchy furniture, please! Instead, mix and match styles and materials, like vintage or second-hand pieces with a relaxed feel, be it wood, wicker, or rattan.
- Decorative elements include vintage chandeliers, rattan-wrapped lamp shades, or shiny, embellished metal light fixtures. Eccentric wallpapers with botanic or geometric motifs extend the view in a boho-inspired space.
- Natural fibers with chunky textures or woven construction and soft, colorful textiles like throws, pillows, and rugs round out this look.
- Boho style has few rules and plays nicely with mid-century modern or Scandinavian elements. So feel free to merge these timeless styles for the ultimate in personal expression.
Which Rugs Amplify Boho Style?
Natural Fiber Rugs Rugs crafted from natural fibers are the ideal foundation for a bohemian-inspired interior. A neutral boho area rug with earthy hues and captivating textures of sisal, jute, coir, or seagrass creates a playground for colorful textiles. Also, layering vintage kilims, dhurries, or washed-out Persian rugs atop a natural fiber rug is a classic boho look.
Pattern Global and enduring patterns are an element of boho style that can take center stage or play a supporting role. If you are mixing interior decor styles, a boho-inspired rug showcasing motifs and patterns from around the world is a perfect accompaniment.
Atmosphere The presence of plants in a bohemian-styled home adds a pop of energizing green. This serves as a much-needed reminder of the natural world, and an automatic air purifier. Wool is another natural material that contributes to a healthy indoor environment. Boho wool rugs inject color, pattern, and natural warmth to your room.
Quick Tips for a Cohesive Boho Look
Shine a light on boho’s earthy tones and textures as well as the vibrant colors and patterns by welcoming as much light as possible into your space.
- If you don’t have a lot of natural light, well-placed mirrors will amplify and reflect light.
- Metallic objects like chandeliers, light fixtures, side tables, and found objects also reflect light. These furnishings bring a spotlight to your well-curated boho space.
- Mix textures, from shiny and smooth metallics to chunky or soft natural fibers, to add bohemian style depth, coziness, and coherence.
- The Timeless Allure of Textured Wool & Chunky Natural Fiber Rugs
- Plaid Wool Rugs: Where Tradition Meets Modern Style
- Shop Our Favorite Fall Rugs of 2023
- Nylon, Polyester, & Polypropylene Rugs: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Carpet For High Traffic Areas
Christy is the Flooring Content Specialist at Curran and sisalcarpet.com. She writes about flooring products with a focus on design and sustainability. For 5 years, her blog posts, technical guides, and product descriptions have led customers along the path from purchasing to maintaining their flooring investments. Her favorite natural flooring? A sisal rug, of course.