What is Coastal Style?
Coastal style aims to keep the feeling of being oceanside with you no matter where you live. The memory of salty ocean air, seaside lounging, sandy toes, and seafoam combine for a relaxed sensation.
To recreate that feeling at home, follow these elemental coastal design style tips:
- Imagine the horizon from a beachside perspective and the coastal color palette appears. Begin with a cloud-like white canvas and add watery blues, muted greens, warm beiges or earthy corals for a coastal color scheme.
- Loose linen slipcovers or light-colored upholstery play into a relaxed vibe. Comfortable furniture is a must, but woven accents like wicker chairs, seagrass baskets or rope pendants balance the crispness of white with an earthy element.
- Decorative accents like shells, sea glass and driftwood thoughtfully placed on shelves or tables create a coastal thread throughout your home.
- Amp up textural interplay by covering your floors with natural fiber rugs and choosing furniture with distressed wood finishes or lighter wood tones. Wood-slat blinds or bamboo shades bring a textural touch to windows while filtering light.
Which Rugs Amplify Coastal Style?
Nature A coastal area rug woven from seagrass is a classic choice for coastal-inspired interiors. Blur the line between the great outdoors and the cozy indoors by bringing a bit of nature into the home. Seagrass rugs have a soothing sandy tone, rugged fibers, and enticing textures.
Coastal Colors Rugs for coastal decor composed of blues, greens and tans complement the serene atmosphere in a beachfront home. Additionally, a restrained use of pattern gives coastal decor a modern look. A botanical or striped rug add a new layer of visual interest to the muted colors and natural objects found in this style.
Sensible Style If your coastal style home is indeed by the beach, having a coastal-style area rug that is also durable and easy to clean is smart. This is where synthetic fibers excel. Polypropylene, poly silk, and SynSisal® are cleanable, soft, and available in a range of textures, hues, and patterns.
Many polypropylene rugs can move freely between indoor and outdoor gathering spaces, and sand and dirt are a cinch to remove.
Augusta indoor/outdoor polypropylene rug in color shell with serged edge
UV-stabilized poly silk is an ideal material for coastal rugs. Soothing colors, soft textures, and resistance to fading from sunlight.
Seabrook UV-stabilized poly silk rug in color moss
Quick Tip For Achieving A Coastal Look
Artwork that celebrates the seaside is another welcome reminder of relaxation. Paintings, graphic illustrations, or photographs that reflect all things surf are a perfect addition to a coastal-inspired decor scheme.
- The Timeless Allure of Textured Wool & Chunky Natural Fiber Rugs
- Plaid Wool Rugs: Where Tradition Meets Modern Style
- Shop Our Favorite Fall Rugs of 2023
- Nylon, Polyester, & Polypropylene Rugs: Everything You Need To Know
- Best Carpet For High Traffic Areas
Christy is the Flooring Content Specialist at Curran and sisalcarpet.com. She writes about flooring products with a focus on design and sustainability. For 5 years, her blog posts, technical guides, and product descriptions have led customers along the path from purchasing to maintaining their flooring investments. Her favorite natural flooring? A sisal rug, of course.