What is Nautical Style?
Nautical style celebrates all things seafaring in its decor, from ships and sailors to ocean life and mythical sea creatures. Although similar to coastal design, nautical design focuses more on maritime objects or motifs.
Here are some key elements to creating a seaworthy style:
- Both deep colors and neutral backgrounds are allowed in nautical design. Aim for a color palette that includes ocean-deep blues, combined with white-washed wood and comfortable furnishings. Additionally, neutral-colored upholstery and linens, like whites and tans, layered with navy blue or gleaming red pillows, blankets, or other accents are standard nautical style.
- Add decorative objects like anchors, monkey fist knots, oars, glass buoys, tripod lamps, and telescopes to evoke the sea.
- Accents and artwork with ships, skiffs, sailboats, and sea life—both mythical and real—naturally fit in with a nautical-inspired decor.
- Cabana stripes and embroidered linens bring to mind first class ocean sailings and make a classy addition to a nautical theme.
- If possible, choose hardware in brushed brass or copper, or find treasures like round porthole-esque mirrors with exposed rivets or protective lighting cages to evoke the golden era of ocean travel.
Which rugs amplify Nautical style?
Stripes & Plaids Stripes are an iconic pattern in nautical decor, and plaids can play along too. Although the color blue is a classic accent choice, even muted tones like tans, browns, or grays can enhance a nautical decor style.
Anywhere Nautical design style be unfurled inside a landlocked home, on house boats as well as outdoor spaces. Modern woven vinyl and polypropylene rugs are available in a range of colorways and textures, so finding a nautical style area rug is easy. These anywhere weaves are durable and UV-resistant, while our woven vinyls are also slip-resistant.
Deep Blue Sea Shades of the dark, deep ocean and the blue hue of water make perfect accents or foundations for a nautical style decor. Sisal area rugs edged in delightful blue hues make a casual but playful impression, while nautical-inspired rugs finished with cloth borders add a stately air.
Quick Tip For Achieving A Nautical Look
The addition of deep sea treasures or maritime artifacts thoughtfully placed throughout your home is a simple way to navigate nautical decor. Be careful not to go overboard with nautical-themed trinkets—this style can dive toward kitschy quickly.
Want to explore more design styles?
Head back to our post How to Choose the Right Rug for Each Design Style to discover different design styles and unforgettable rugs.
Need more details about how to choose the right material for your next custom rug?
Our Everything You Need To Know series has the information you need.
Creating an outdoor gathering space and need just the right amount of shade? Our umbrella guide is here for you.
Christy is the Flooring Content Specialist at Curran and sisalcarpet.com. She writes about flooring products with a focus on design and sustainability. For 5 years, her blog posts, technical guides, and product descriptions have led customers along the path from purchasing to maintaining their flooring investments. Her favorite natural flooring? A sisal rug, of course.